Hi Friend! I'm going to keep it sweet and short today. And I will let these pictures speak for themselves. The vibrant colour of this homemade sweet potato gnocchi is wonderfully in balance with the earthy tones of those perfect little wild mushrooms. Not only do they complement in colour, but also in taste: bites of sweet and creamy gnocchi and mouthfuls of earthy and chewy mushrooms. This Creamy Wild Mushroom dish served with Sweet Potato Gnocchi is the perfect vegan dish, ideal for people with egg allergy and dairy intolerance. It is a light but filling meal and also plant-based.
Creamy Wild Mushrooms with Sweet Potato Gnocchi
PREP TIME: 30 min
TOTAL TIME: 60 min
For the gnocchi: - 2 small sweet potatoes (about 385g)
- 150g plain flour
- salt & pepper to taste
For the sauteed wild mushrooms:
- 600g mixed mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- a small piece of leek (sliced)
- 60ml cooking wine
- 150ml vegan pouring cream (e.g. Alpro soya)
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Slide for a little 'Gnocchi how-to'
Use a wide selection of wild mushrooms if you can. Variety turns this dish into a taste and texture frenzy 👌
1. Wash, peel and dice the sweet potatoes, and steam for about 30min or until soft and thoroughly cooked. Let it cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, clean your mushrooms and cut them into bite-size pieces.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the sliced leek and minced garlic and sauté for 1 min. Add the mushrooms, and sauté for couple more minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over the wine, then the cream. Stir and let it simmer covered for about 10 min, stirring occasionally. Add a splash of water if needed.
4. To make the gnocchi, add the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl along with the flour, salt and pepper. Combine the ingredients with your hand until you get a soft dough. Add more flour if the dough is too wet.
5. Transfer the dough onto a well-floured surface and cut it into 4-5 pieces. Take each dough ball and roll them into long, thumbnail-thick cylinders. Cut the cylinders into small pieces and cook them in salty, boiling water for 5min.
6. Scoop the gnocchi out with a slotted spoon directly onto plates and serve with the creamy wild mushrooms. Enjoy!
These are just a couple of serving suggestions, you can simply mix the cooked gnocchi together with the wild mushrooms, or just add the mushrooms on top of a generous portion of fresh gnocchi.
Click on the below to download this recipe as a free, pdf recipe card:
Have you tried this recipe or want to say hi?
I would love to hear from you 😊 Comment below and/or share a pic on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen