Strawberry and Vanilla Naked Cake
Updated: Sep 7, 2020
I got to meet one of my dear friends last weekend! I was so happy to see her after a very long time and what's more, we decided that instead of the usual "catch-up over a glass of Prosecco and some nibbles", we are going to do something else. She asked me if I could bake a cake for her boyfriend's birthday? Yay! That's something I would certainly love to do!
I mean, we still had some Prosecco but baking a cake and sort of last-minute guessing what it will taste and look like was very exciting. My friend wanted something refreshing, light, and summery, so I thought strawberry and vanilla would be a nice match. Luckily, she had all the ingredients needed in her pantry so I made a sponge cake with a vanilla cream filling and juicy strawberry slices.
This Strawberry and Vanilla Naked Cake is an ideal centrepiece for a summer table or a birthday party! The sweetness of the smooth vanilla flavoured filling and delicious juicy strawberries will make you want to go for another slice!
Strawberry and Vanilla Naked Cake
Prep time: 45 min
Baking time: 45 min
Total time: 4 hrs, 30 min (includes cooling and chilling)
INGREDIENTS Sponge cake: · 6 large eggs (whites and yolks separated) · 180g caster sugar · vanilla extract · 160g butter (melted and slightly cooled) · 200g flour (sifted) · 1 heaped tsp baking powder · pinch of salt Vanilla cream filling: · 3 egg yolks · 6 tbsp caster sugar · 3 tbsp cornflour · 500ml milk · 1 vanilla pod · 90g butter 400g fresh strawberries
Sponge cake: 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Line a 20cm (8’’) round cake tin with parchment paper. 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set it aside. 3. Melt the butter and wait until it slightly cools, then mix it together with the egg yolks until smooth. Set this one aside, too. 4. Now in a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat until you get a firm meringue consistency. 5. Gradually add the egg yolk & butter mixture to the meringue with a spatula. 6. Slowly, with careful movements fold in the sifted flour until blended. Pour the mixture in the baking tin and place it in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for approx. 40-45 min, but I recommend using a cake tester to see if the middle of the cake is perfectly baked as well. 7. Once baked, remove from the tin, and allow to cool completely before cutting.
Vanilla cream filling:
1. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar in a saucepan.
2. Add the cornflour and the milk and mix it well.
3. Lengthways split the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the mixture.
4. Mixing continuously, gently heat the mixture on low heat.
5. When it starts to thicken, you will need to gently boil it for 1 minute (this is usually at around 80°C).
6. Take it off the heat and leave it to cool. Cover the cream with cling film, making sure that the clingfilm touches the cream, otherwise it will dry out. Alternatively (if you need the cream filling quickly) place the saucepan in a cold-water bath and mix it regularly.
7. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, then gradually add the cold vanilla cream to it. (If the vanilla cream is too warm, the filling will cut.)
Assembly & decoration:
1. Cut the sponge cake into 3 equal layers.
2. Wash and slice the strawberries, leaving a few whole pieces for decoration.
3. Save ¼ of the vanilla cream filling and spoon it in a piping bag with a star nozzle.
4. Spoon the vanilla cream on the first layer of sponge cake, making sure that you have enough filling for all 3 layers, then place the half of the strawberry slices on top. Repeat with the second layer.
5. Place the final layer of sponge cake on the top and spread the vanilla cream evenly and decorate with the piping bag by adding stars of different sizes.
6. Finish the decoration with the whole strawberries. You can also add some chocolate triangles if you have any or chocolate shavings, sprinkles, etc. Chill the assembled cake for at least 2 hours in the fridge before serving.
7. Keep in the fridge and eat it within 3 days.
Tip: Vanilla extract works well if you don't have vanilla pods.
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know how it went in the comments below! Share a photo on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen