It's been a few long weeks for all of us here in the UK since Christmas when we went into another national lockdown. As much as I love cooking, I miss going out and having a nice dinner somewhere. I miss my favourite restaurants and take-out places so much. And I'm sure, I'm not alone! Living in a small town, I do not have access to all my favourite restaurants, as they're all in the nearest city. So this Vegan Thai Green Curry was born to stop this craving and to be able to have it during the Veganuary Challenge 😊 My husband whipped together the sauce, I dealt with the rest and honestly, this was the best green curry I've ever had! This Vegan Thai Green Curry is fragrant, creamy and filling - a healthy comfort food for those days when you need a little pick-me-up ❤️
Vegan Thai Green Curry
Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 25-30 min
Serving: 4 people
Sauce: - 3 stalks of lemongrass - 3 cloves garlic - 1 bunch coriander - 1 tbsp sugar - 2cm piece of ginger - 1 green chilli - zest and juice from 1 lime - 1 tin coconut cream
- 1 small courgette (180g), cut into large juliennes
- 2 cups button mushrooms (150g), halved or quartered
- 1 inch piece of leek (1.5cm), chopped
- 1 tin banana blossom (250g), chopped
- 100g chickpeas
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame or vegetable oil
1. To make the sauce, add all the ingredients of the sauce to a blender or a food processor and blitz it for 4-5 minutes, until smooth. Pour the sauce into a fine sieve or muslin cloth and work it through to a bowl so that any fibres left from the ginger and lemongrass can be removed, then set it aside.
2. Heat the oil in a deep, frying pan, add the leeks and sauté for about a minute. Then add the mushrooms and the banana blossom pieces. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. Pour the Thai green curry sauce over the veggies and add the chickpeas as well. Cover the pan and let the curry simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring it from time to time. 4. Add the courgette and some salt if required and cook for another minute. 5. Serve with your favourite rice or noodle.
Tip: Feel free to use store-bought green Thai curry paste if you are in a rush and have no time to make it from scratch. Just spoon it over the veggies and add the coconut cream.
Click on the below to download this recipe as a free, pdf recipe card:
Have you tried this recipe or want to say hi?
I would love to hear from you 😊 Comment below and/or share a pic on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen