These Tofu Rolls are a true crowd-pleaser and the perfect vegan alternative to the good old sausage roll! They are easy to make, on a budget, and require a few ingredients only. If you are using firm tofu, as we did, you will need a soft component, too. It will help the filling come together. We used pumpkin puree, but you could also use mashed sweet potato or mashed potato.
If you have a party coming up and are short on time but do not want to serve store-bought vegan sausage rolls, this is a great choice. The rolls can be prepared in advance and frozen for up to 3 months. Be sure to bake them from frozen and for longer by 5-7 minutes. Check that they are thoroughly cooked.
PREP TIME: 15-20min
TOTAL TIME: 1h 15min (including cooling time)
-1 sheet vegan puff pastry (375g)
- 1 block tofu (I used a Tofoo block, 280g)
- half of a small Hokkaido, or another type of pumpkin (350g, steamed)
- 5-6 dried sage leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- black and white sesame seeds (optional)
1. Peel, clean and dice the pumpkin. Steam for about 15-20 minutes or until soft. Let it cool before using. (If you don’t have a vegetable steamer, you could place the diced pumpkin in a metal sieve, over a pan with boiling water. Just cover the sieve with a lid, and it works like a steamer.)
2. To make the Tofu Roll filling, crumb the tofu into small pieces in a bowl. Add the cooked pumpkin and the spices and mix thoroughly.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 5.
4. Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut it into 3 even rectangles. Divide the tofu-pumpkin mixture between the 3 sheets, leaving a border on each side. Fold one edge of the pastry over the filling and roll to encase, then use a fork to press the edges together.
5. Cut the tofu rolls into smaller or larger pieces, as desired. I had both large, about 10cm long rolls, as well as bite-sized ones, about 2-3cm thick.
6. Place the rolls onto a baking sheet, brush their tops with a little water and sprinkle with sesame seeds or any other topping of your choice.
7. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for about 20min, or until crispy and golden. Serve hot or cold with your favourite condiment.
Click on the below to download this recipe as a free, pdf recipe card:
I served my Tofu Rolls with homemade cranberry sauce and homemade piccalilli🧂 See images in the below gallery 😊
Have you tried this recipe or want to say hi?
I would love to hear from you 😊 Comment below and/or share a pic on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen