If you are craving a truly summery breakfast, then give these Strawberry Overnight Oats a try! Refreshing, healthy and delicious - all in one jar. Strawberries are the most loved early summer fruit, and they are in season in the UK now, too. Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, manganese and potassium and are rich in antioxidants. We are trying to enjoy them as often as we can while the season lasts. We love them as a snack, instead of dessert, or with breakfast, for example, sliced over porridge or overnight oats.
But this time, there were a few pieces left in the back of the fridge. Forgotten. I did not want to keep these strawberries in the fridge for another night. I decided to turn them into a delicious, aromatic strawberry compote, which I then added to that night's batch of overnight oats. My favourite part was the tiny bit of cinnamon I added to the oats. It (surprisingly) went so well the strawberry compote! We both enjoyed it, and we hope you will too!
Strawberry Overnight Oats
PREP TIME: 10 min
TOTAL TIME: 15 min + chilling time
SERVINGS: 2 portions
- 1 cup jumbo oats
- ¾ cup of milk (I used oat milk)
- ¼ cup yoghurt (I used a vegan one)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or another sweetener of your choice)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 100g fresh strawberries
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
1. Add the jumbo oats, milk, yoghurt, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt to a medium-sized bowl and mix it all together. Pop it in the fridge for a few hours or leave it overnight.
2. Wash the strawberries and remove the stems, then slice or roughly chop them. Add the strawberry pieces to a small saucepan, along with the sugar, and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for about 4-5 min. Remove from the heat and keep it in the fridge until use.
3. Divide the strawberry compote between 2 jars, then do the same with the overnight oats. I prefer to do this in the morning, but you can transfer your overnight oats to the serving dishes straightaway.
4. Decorate your overnight oats with fresh strawberries, chopped nuts and seeds, cocoa nibs and granola, as we did here, or enjoy as it is.
If you are looking for tropical vibes, try our Mango and Vanilla Overnight Oats.
Click on the below to download this recipe as a free, pdf recipe card:
Have you tried this recipe or want to say hi?
I would love to hear from you 😊 Comment below and/or share a pic on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen