Spring Salad with Asparagus
As spring arrived, we tend to spend more time outside the house, whether in the garden or in the local park. The warmer weather is a great motivation to do more exercise or go for longer walks. But spring also inspires us to make better food choices, eat more greens and vegetables, cook light and healthy food. My dear friend has also asked me to share spring salad recipes here on the blog so that she can prepare them for her family, too. I hope that this Spring Salad with Asparagus recipe is a little inspiration for you, and you will enjoy it as much as we did. I picked up the veggies I used in this recipe from the farmers market. They were absolutely delicious! They had that Mediterranean 'vibe', yet what I truly loved about this Spring Salad with Asparagus was the dressing. Don't skip it! It brings all the flavours together and gives a yummy creamy texture to the whole dish. Bon Appetit!
Spring Salad with Asparagus
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 100g bulgur wheat
- a small bunch of asparagus, about 4-5 pieces per person
- 150g yellow or green courgette, sliced
- 2 baby aubergines, halved
- 1 tomato, cut into cubes
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2-4 radishes, sliced
- 2 small roasted red peppers
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp salad cress
- 3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- vegetable oil - salt and pepper - fresh or dried lemon thyme or thyme
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Place the bulgur into a pot with cold water and some salt (or veggie stock for a fuller flavour) and bring to a boil. Let it simmer on low heat for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and let it cool.
2. Trim the asparaguses by holding the end of each piece and bending until it snaps. Set aside and discard the ends.
3. In a large frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil and add the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until tender, turning each asparagus a couple of times to ensure they are evenly cooked. Transfer onto a plate.
4. Add another tablespoon of oil and place the courgette slices into the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon thyme, and cook for about 2 min on each side, then remove from the pan.
5. Add another splash of oil and pan-fry the halved baby aubergines for about 10 min, flipping once halfway through. Once soft and tender, transfer them onto a plate.
6. For the dressing, add all the ingredients to a small bowl or jar and mix until well-combined.
7. To plate your salad, divide the cooked bulgur between two plates, then place all the pan-roasted ingredients over the top of it. Scatter the fresh ingredients over and drizzle with the tahini dressing.
Tip: This salad is delicious as it is, but it can be served as a light side dish for roasted chicken or fish.
Click on the below to download this recipe as a free, pdf recipe card:
Have you tried this recipe or want to say hi?
I would love to hear from you 😊 Comment below and/or share a pic on Instagram with the tag: #madelaineskitchen